What would you do in this hypothetical situation?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What would you do in this hypothetical situation?

Let's assume that one of your junior admins, who has been very active and responsible and whom you've known for a while (almost a year) and even chatted with on Skype, all of a sudden deletes their own account with posts, threads and everything, and leaves a message that they have decided to leave, without any explanation whatsoever. They then block you on social media and refuse to reply to you anymore.

What would you do in this situation? Would you restore a recent backup of the forum, losing a few days of posts, just to recover their account and immediately demote them? Or would you let them leave and leave their account deleted?
    • BB8 wrote:

I would try to restore, at least, posts inside a discussion which would lose much of its continuity if I'd leave the current state as it is. When I decide to contribute to someone else's community, I basically hand over the rights for "my" posts to him.
      Not sure how exactly you can do that. I'm not familiar with every forum script out there, but with the one I have been using for the past years, IPB, once an account's posts are deleted, they cannot be restored unless you restore the forum from a previous backup, which, in turn, would lead to losing the content gained between the backup date and the present date.
    • Paul wrote:

I would try to restore the deleted posts, ban the member so they couldn't come back, and not give anyone access to my ACP so something like this couldn't happen again.
      This, but I would also be keeping a general eye out for their return.
      Disclaimer - Automatically assume that any link I copy & paste has a referral in it. Not because I'm the spamming type, but because I'm to lazy to edit them out or double check a really long url for that 1 snip of code.
    • Paul wrote:

alakazam wrote:

Maybe (s)he did it because she wanted to leave and leave no trace behind, not to harm the community.
      Deleting posts usually makes threads very confusing and does just that, harms the community. I don't know how anyone could spin doing something like that into just trying to be helpful, it's a big f~ y~! whenever it is done.
      I never said that they were trying to be helpful.
    • Paul wrote:

alakazam wrote:

Maybe (s)he did it because she wanted to leave and leave no trace behind, not to harm the community.
      Deleting posts usually makes threads very confusing and does just that, harms the community. I don't know how anyone could spin doing something like that into just trying to be helpful, it's a big f~ y~! whenever it is done.
      Not to forget that it can also impact the seo rating of your site. If that particular post or thread is how people find you and now it's gone, that is going to impact you.
      Disclaimer - Automatically assume that any link I copy & paste has a referral in it. Not because I'm the spamming type, but because I'm to lazy to edit them out or double check a really long url for that 1 snip of code.
    • Adam wrote:

Paul wrote:

alakazam wrote:

Not to forget that it can also impact the seo rating of your site. If that particular post or thread is how people find you and now it's gone, that is going to impact you.
      What about imageboards (4chan, 7chan etc.), where the general rules is that threads get auto-deleted if they are not replied to in 24 hours? They still get lots of traffic.
    • alakazam wrote:

What about imageboards (4chan, 7chan etc.), where the general rules is that threads get auto-deleted if they are not replied to in 24 hours? They still get lots of traffic.
      Because they a following, but you'll find nothing of them really in SEO via a general search. 3Chan all but died the moment the users and staff clashed heads over a few changes.
    • BirdOPrey5 wrote:

I give my top posters the option if they want to remove all traces I will change their username, and run the MySQL command to change all references of their old usernames in posts to the new, random, username.

I've had 2 people take me up on the offer, one was going into politics, not sure the motive of the other.
      You've been lucky to have more reasonable people. The folks I deal with tend to try to claim ownership of their post and nothing short of a complete deletion would satisfy them.

I do this as well though. Change their name and all name references, but the content remains. Doesn't satisfy, which still leads to their ban.
    • Very early on I setup a Terms of Service that says in no uncertain terms that by posting to the forum they are giving the site an irrevocable, non-exclusive license to use the content.

The final call on all deletions is at my discretion but users may delete posts in general but mass deletion is prohibited. I track the post count and if I see some massive drop off I will restore all the posts by the user who deleted them.

We've had our growing pains but everyone pretty much knows the rules at this point. If they need to delete a few posts, even 20 posts if they have hundreds or thousands I'm not going to care.
      - Joe D. 8)