Admin-Hub advertisements are no longer visible to registered members

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Wrong move. Ads are common and nothing that brings members away if used properly. You need to cover your costs and they will get up. Registered members are more likely to press ads then guests.

So
      1. More ads to guests ( lets just say 3 positions )
      2. Registered users have 1 or 2 ads.

Problem solved, you see less ads when registered and still get to cover your costs.
      /Enter Your Signature here/
    • The major problem with advertising is "malvertising", i.e. ad banners with malicious Javascript embedded. All big news portals already had them, from the New York Times over the Guardian to the German "SPIEGEL ONLINE", just last week. Including IT news portals which use centralized ad providers too.

Ad banners with embedded Javascript are a huge security risk unless you know exactly what that Javascript does. One of the reasons why NoScript and ad blockers are so popular: They do a real favor to your security.
      Send in the clowns.
    • Rinalds wrote:

Wrong move. Ads are common and nothing that brings members away if used properly. You need to cover your costs and they will get up. Registered members are more likely to press ads then guests.

So

Problem solved, you see less ads when registered and still get to cover your costs.
      Why ?
      And what kind of costs?
      ... The litle bit of server costs? and the license?

Which is something like max 10US / Month? probably even less ;)
    • Throwholics wrote:

Rinalds wrote:

Wrong move. Ads are common and nothing that brings members away if used properly. You need to cover your costs and they will get up. Registered members are more likely to press ads then guests.

So

Why ?And what kind of costs?
      ... The litle bit of server costs? and the license?

Don't think in micro but in macro.

Yes, costs now are small, how about later when the forum gets bigger and needs upgraded VPS? How about some giveaways or any other costs? To maintain forum active and popular you will need money if you want to grow it.

Also I know how much time it takes to maintain forum active and after long time of running it you get tired of putting all the time your money in. If it can cover costs of the server or half of it - it's a good deal.

We have to take in action that @Paul here does it in his free time and is not asking anything back. Sooner or later he will be at the point where he will have to decide to keep working on this forum or no. If all the time costs are not covered and things are not going by the plan - he could stop it.
    • Rinalds wrote:

Throwholics wrote:

Rinalds wrote:

So

Why ?And what kind of costs?... The litle bit of server costs? and the license?

Yes, costs now are small, how about later when the forum gets bigger and needs upgraded VPS? How about some giveaways or any other costs? To maintain forum active and popular you will need money if you want to grow it.

Also I know how much time it takes to maintain forum active and after long time of running it you get tired of putting all the time your money in. If it can cover costs of the server or half of it - it's a good deal.

We have to take in action that @Paul here does it in his free time and is not asking anything back. Sooner or later he will be at the point where he will have to decide to keep working on this forum or no. If all the time costs are not covered and things are not going by the plan - he could stop it.
      Couldn't have said it better.
    • Rinalds wrote:

Throwholics wrote:

Rinalds wrote:

So

It depends totally on the viewpoint and the reason behind such a forum.
      If one does it as a hobby (the reason I do it) one should be able to pay for it.
      Its the same with doing other hobbies such as going rock climbing, playing tennis etc. One pays for those as well =)

I always use an adblocker, I stopped watching simple TV because of ads... I use netflix, amazon prime, maxdome etc. :D
    • Throwholics wrote:

Rinalds wrote:

Throwholics wrote:

Rinalds wrote:

So

Don't think in micro but in macro.Yes, costs now are small, how about later when the forum gets bigger and needs upgraded VPS? How about some giveaways or any other costs? To maintain forum active and popular you will need money if you want to grow it.

It depends totally on the viewpoint and the reason behind such a forum.If one does it as a hobby (the reason I do it) one should be able to pay for it.
      Its the same with doing other hobbies such as going rock climbing, playing tennis etc. One pays for those as well =)

I always use an adblocker, I stopped watching simple TV because of ads... I use netflix, amazon prime, maxdome etc. :D
      You can earn money from hobbies too.
    • Just my 2-cents on adblockers. Don't use them.

1. They don'y bother me.
      2. Most of the ads I don't see.
      3. Sometimes there is an ad that I'm interested in if it gets my attentiont.
      4. Supporting website owner
      Ads for most of the websites are properly taken care of. It's not anymore like it was few years back, where you had to close 10 pop-ups to get to the content. I'm not saying that using adblock is bad or good but in some way it's stealing from website owner.

For instance, if you like this forum and you have adblock, that would mean that @Paul would get less money out from people who click on his ads. Do you like or you don't care about it? You might say that you can donate money for great job @Paul is doing.. But in reality only few will ever donate something if asked.

So, stop crying about adblocks and advertisements. It's way more better situation right now then it was.. except youtube ads. You don't want to see ads? Use adblock.. Just remember that you're stealing 2 cents from website owner.. when you realize it - turn it around if you would have website or you have one, would you like if all people would use adblock and you would get 0 out from your ads?