Akylos: The General Discussion Forum

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Akylos: The General Discussion Forum

Slogan: It's Whatever....Literally.

URL:

Forums - Akylos: The General Discussion Forums

Description:
      I could classify Akylos as a book forum...or an Anime forum...or an RP...or General Discussion forum :) In it's 4 years online since February 2012, the best way to describe Akylos is simple. It's whatever.
      Whatever you want it, need it and make it to be :tongue: We encourage and applaud member individuality and with that comes a community who is embracing of all and always eager to meet new individuals.
      I guess if you want to be technical, we are a general discussion forum but instead of a forum led by the owner/admin(ME), it's directed by the members...which is you :)
      Small community that packs a big community feel...From our chatroom to new features including upcoming video/audio chat, special events and giveaways and more...

ENTER THE CHAOS THAT IS AKYLOS :)
    • How comes he keeps changing the domain name of the forum though. I know @Sin has changed it a few times now and that is only going to break all links indexed in Google already, they will have be re-indexed again everytime you change domain name. Not to mention some members might be trying to visit the old forum domain that's not been there for a while
    • Great forum overall. You have done great job.
      However
      Logo is from 90'.
      The man or whatever it's.. is in bad quality. I would remove it for good.
      Also forum is too transparent in brings pain for long term use. Either change transparent level or change background to be more solid and not so detailed.

"forum led by the owner/admin(ME), it's directed by the members...which is you " - this is something that might sound good for 13-year-old.. No forum / website is directed by members. You could just give admin to all people that register then.
      Content can be directed by members but not the forum directed by members. It's just not possible.

And again - great job, forum looks busy.
      /Enter Your Signature here/
    • Rinalds wrote:

Logo is from 90'.

Rinalds wrote:

Also forum is too transparent in brings pain for long term use. Either change transparent level or change background to be more solid and not so detailed.

Rinalds wrote:

Great forum overall. You have done great job.
      I agree, this forum looks like a nice place where those interested can have constructive exchanges and conversations. However, as pointed out above, when I first visited it I was overwhelmed by the theme. It felt like a slap in the face: it's distracting, hard to read, and a bit too crammed and chaotic for my taste. My first instinct was to look if there was a plain/default style that I could choose. Once I set that as default, I was finally able to take a look around, and I actually liked what I saw there.

In this instance, I stand by Rinalds' suggestions: good job overall, but work a bit on the presentation with a more fitting/user-friendly theme.
    • @Paul @GTB
      Yes this is the one and only Chaos Reads :)
      (though keep in mind you know it as Chaos reads but it actually had other names before that lol)

In reality, that was me making noob admin mistakes. I hated the names of the past and got bored with them. I know it is silly and stupid of me :D
      Akylos became the name back in 2014 and it stuck until 2015 around December when I changed it to revolucix as I was going to take the site in a different direction but I decided to put that on the back burner and we moved back to Akylos. Which is our name forevermore unless there is a real reason to actually change it other than Micah got bored of the name :tongue:
      It helps to have a community of members who can put up with your madness and they sort of went along with it(I usually always made sure to redirect them to the new url so they didn't get lost lol). That being said, I did promise them we wouldn't ever change names again unless I had to do and intend to keep that promise. It got so bad that the names I came up with just sounded worse and worse. See revolucix :)

IDk why chaosreads isn't pointing at Akylos. I never use the URL anymore....I think it is probably due to the host switch(But in reality, we hadn't used it since 2014 so I am sure not much has been lost). But I will set it up nonetheless just in case.

Rinalds wrote:

Logo is from 90'.
      The man or whatever it's.. is in bad quality. I would remove it for good.
      Yeah maybe you are on to something :) I had my friend make it for me (Graphic design isn't a skill I have lol) and it looked cool at first with the fire but maybe you are right. It's not the first time I heard It :D

Is it the guy(It's supposed to be a warrior lol) that is bad or the overall logo itself?

As far as the transparency, I often worried about that myself. I chose transparent because I wanted people to be able to see the forum's background image as well. I visit a lot of forums and their backgrounds are always obscured by the forums themselves so its like you really cant see much :( But I've had some complaints about it looking tacky so I am already in progress to choose a darker theme(I like to change the theme up once per year and that is technically our 2015 theme anyway).

Thank you :D

Rinalds wrote:

"forum led by the owner/admin(ME), it's directed by the members...which is you " - this is something that might sound good for 13-year-old.. No forum / website is directed by members. You could just give admin to all people that register then.
      Content can be directed by members but not the forum directed by members. It's just not possible.
      Well the initial demographic of Akylos was just that....13 year olds. It was a YA Book forum (young adults) so the average member was 13-16. I think that is another reason...As we have all grown up and are adults entering college and/or real life, I feel like Akylos at time embodies a persona like a teenager(Which makes sense, it was made by/for teens in the first place) where it doesn't know what it is. Are we still the immature kids we used to be or are we more matue adults :tongue: Thankfully, the demographic has gotten older so it is not just teens and there are early 20s adults now.

The led by members thing is the whole 'democratic' mentality the site has but I've slowly learned that I do have to sometimes lead them because if I don't chaos ensues :tongue:

Rinalds wrote:

And again - great job, forum looks busy.
      It used to be even busier :tongue: Alas the owner has gotten busy and it has gotten neglected a bit :) But I am not going to make some more time and hopefully bring it back to its old status.

Thanks so much for your advice and definitely will be taking it into consideration and applying it where I can.

AnnaMarine wrote:

I've just looked through your "book club", and though it's not my type of reading, the forum is quite impressive - so many reviews! How old is your forum?
      Ha thanks, though I have been slacking with reading :) It used to be a Young Adult/Teen book forum(it's original niche) so most of the books are teen books.

Most of the readers have moved onto more mature books for adults since we aren't kids anymore.
      Akylos was created February 2012 and it was the successor to our forumotion forum made October 2011 <3

Anubis wrote:

I agree, this forum looks like a nice place where those interested can have constructive exchanges and conversations. However, as pointed out above, when I first visited it I was overwhelmed by the theme. It felt like a slap in the face: it's distracting, hard to read, and a bit too crammed and chaotic for my taste. My first instinct was to look if there was a plain/default style that I could choose. Once I set that as default, I was finally able to take a look around, and I actually liked what I saw there
      LOL I am glad you found a theme that better suits your eyes.
      When you say crammed could you elaborate a bit more for me?

Anubis wrote:

In this instance, I stand by Rinalds' suggestions: good job overall, but work a bit on the presentation with a more fitting/user-friendly theme.
      Will be doing so in the coming days!
    • Paul wrote:

I like the new style, @Sin! It makes viewing the content much easier on my old eyes.

Anubis wrote:

Indeed. I just checked it out and it's so much better
      Ha that's actually an accident as you aren't supposed to see it ;) But thank you, I am glad you are able to view it better! I'll be keeping it in mind for the next theme we buy to buy something a bit more solid.

IPSFocus - IPS Theme - Brave
      Is what I am looking at now.
    • alakazam wrote:

Paul wrote:

alakazam wrote:

Why aren't any of you joining it though?
      I'm 2-3 times older than most of the members there.
      OMG, Paul, not this ageism thing again... :rolleyes:
      You shouldn't be concerned about a forum you are banned from :)

Paul wrote:

alakazam wrote:

Feel free to pop in :)
      I am working with another community who is possibly considering shutting the doors down....they are closer to your age(35 and up) and what not but they have younger members as well. If I wind up acquiring it, i haven't decided if i wish to consolidate the two forums(hasn't worked out well in the past for me) or keep em separate ha!
    • Sin wrote:

Feel free to pop in
      I am working with another community who is possibly considering shutting the doors down....they are closer to your age(35 and up) and what not but they have younger members as well. If I wind up acquiring it, i haven't decided if i wish to consolidate the two forums(hasn't worked out well in the past for me) or keep em separate ha!
      Please let us know. I would be happy to join any forum of yours, Sin, that has some members in my age range.
    • Paul wrote:

Sin wrote:

Feel free to pop in
      Please let us know. I would be happy to join any forum of yours, Sin, that has some members in my age range.
      I swear marketing is so hard lol.
      I want to straddle the line between my younger demographic but as we all are growing up what not, the things that were appealing in 2012 when everyone were younger sort of annoy me when we get new members that remind me how cringeworthy we were back then when the forum first opened lol.

I'll be sure to update this thread should anything come into fruition with a new generation of older members what I refer to as the Asylum(akylos) :tongue:

alakazam wrote:

Sin wrote:

alakazam wrote:

Paul wrote:

alakazam wrote:

OMG, Paul, not this ageism thing again... :rolleyes:
      You shouldn't be concerned about a forum you are unfairly banned from :)
      Fixed that for you.
      k then.