How can we improve website performance through cPanel?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can we improve website performance through cPanel?

What simple things can website owners do to improve their sites performance through cPanel? Thanks to @Adam for giving me some information about using Gzip compression in my .htacess file. I'm sure like me (until very recently), most people aren't using Gzip compression yet, even though it seems to make a significant difference in site speed. Gzip compression is something that even people on shared hosting can do to improve their site's performance. What other tricks are there for making your site faster through cPanel?

You can read about Gzip compression here How to enable compression and gzip for page speed.
    • It's a balancing act.. TTFB can be effected by site compression. It can sometimes raise the TTFB. Overall though the benefit outweighs the TTFB.
      Gzip compression has been recommended for a while, along with caching static images, etc.
      If you want the best performance - you dump cPanel (or any panel) and deal with everything from the CLI. That way you reduce memory/resource footprint for things that don't really effect the site and use it for what does.
      I played with cPanel on a server (actually VPS) of mine for about 3 months and got tired of it and dumped it and went back to SSH/CLI for my administrative duties.
      Are you a Brother of the Briar?
      Or is Linux more to your speed?
    • When creating this thread, I was thinking that there are probably more people using shared hosting than there are people using VPS or dedicated servers. Most shared hosting accounts come with cPanel (or some other kind of panel), as do most VPS accounts. Are there things that people even on shared hosting can do to improve their site's performance through cPanel?
    • Paul wrote:

When creating this thread, I was thinking that there are probably more people using shared hosting than there are people using VPS or dedicated servers. Most shared hosting accounts come with cPanel (or some other kind of panel), as do most VPS accounts. Are there things that people even on shared hosting can do to improve their site's performance through cPanel?
      You are fairly limited on "performance" enhancements that can be done from the cPanel config.... and I'd personally be hesitant about manually editing a config that is controlled by cPanel (but that's because I haven't used it enough to know what is safe to tweak and what isn't). One of the few things you can do is get LiteSpeed and chunk Apache to the curb.
    • Paul wrote:

Tracy Perry wrote:

It's Apache that is typically the issue. For more performance you would want LiteSpeed. But, on a shared host you would have to find one that offers that option.
      I haven't seen any shared hosting providers who offer Nginx, or too many managed VPS hosting providers who offer it either... I can only remember seeing one which gave its customers the option.
      And you typically wont' as I am not aware of any commercial panel (that is well known & reliable) that has the ability to control it (other than as a proxy).
      nginx is more a "hands on" environment.